Spools Mini

Last Saturday I had a lovely sew-in date with my friend Christina. We decided to make the Spools mini quilt by Thimble and Blossoms. Camille does design some lovely patterns!

I was lucky enough to win a Fat Quarter Shop gift certificate from A Lovely Year of Finishes for my November goal which I splurged and bought the Heather Bailey True Colors charm pack with. I am so glad I did because I love, LOVE the colors so much and the prints are super pretty too!

11998702226_e175794503

I decided to be brave and practice my free motion quilting skills. I wanted to try pebbling and since this quilt is only 14” by 16” I thought it was a perfect practice size. It is not perfect and I did get some shifting but I am okay with that. I am super happy that I tried something “scary” and plus it is for my sewing room wall so I can deal with its imperfections ;) I quilted it Aurifil 50wt in a light dove gray (color #2600) which I have to say is one of my favorite Aurifil thread colors so far. It is almost gone. Sad face.

I took the binding fabric from my daughters quilt fabric stack, shhhhh. I was going to use this fabric to bind her quilt but the running stitch print and color was just too perfect not to steal from her stack to bind this sweet quilt. I will find something else for her I am sure.

11998253244_a1286ae50c

There are so many lovely versions of this quilt popping up. It looks so different depending on the fabrics you use. I think that if I make it again I would maybe make a scrappy version or perhaps a rainbow. Next up perhaps a mini Swoon or Puddle Jumping mini. Did you see that Jaybird Quilts is working on minis too?! Fun! She posted a sneak peek on Flickr!

Linking to Needle and Thread Thursday and Finish it up Friday

8 comments:

QuarterMileQuilts said...
January 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Absolutely gorgeous! The pebble quilting allows those spools to pop well. Best, Kate

Renee said...
January 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Such a cute quilt! The fabrics work really well and your quilting looks great!

DeborahGun said...
January 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM

it is so pretty :-)

Sara said...
January 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM

The binding is a smart choice for it and I am in love with the purple!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...
January 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM

this mini is a real cutie! the pebbling really makes those spools stand out!

Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Julie said...
January 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Looks good - good on you for trying something new too. You will have to show us an updated piccy of your sewing room.

Sweet Woodruff said...
January 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Spools are one of my favorite blocks. This is darling.

Heather D. said...
January 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM

So cute, and good job on the pebbling. Way to be brave!!

Leave a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit my little blog! Your comments make my day :)

Back to Home Back to Top Making Life Prettier. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.